An ode to all the dishes I can't eat right now

By Charlea - Thursday, April 23, 2020


This is my sixth week at home. Six weeks of keeping a social distance. Holing up in my north London flat with my boyfriend, a stack of books, mindfulness colouring book and a 1000-piece puzzle (depicting Tower Bridge, natch) for company. 

It's been a weird time, but for me it's been a very privileged time. I live a stone's throw from the Lea Valley park, Walthamstow Wetlands and beautiful River Lee canal walks – so fitting in an hour's walk before work every morning has been both easy and joyful. I've become an uncharacteristically calm person now I don't have to commute twice every day. I have a private balcony that catches sunshine from 3-6pm every day (prime cocktail time) and my building has a roof garden. I (thankfully) still have a job and as it stands am being paid my full pay. I've got food. We've got a spare room, heaps of dumbbells and our own "gym" setup. I've got everything I need in my own home to live very comfortably and use this period as an opportunity to slow down, spend precious quality time with my partner, and just enjoy what we've got. Not everyone is so lucky. You can be assured I count my many blessings every single day.

But one thing I'm missing that I really miss right now... MY FAVOURITE DISHES.

I've made it quite clear that one of the things I love most about London is the food. City living has so many shit sides – the cost of rent, number of tourists, horrific commuting situation, and having to pay £10 for a g&t. But the bad has always outweighed the good for me – namely the lifestyle I get to lead. And having some of the world's best food on my doorstep is one of the biggest parts of the lifestyle I love so much.

Lockdown has (obviously) stolen the opportunity to go out for food. Some of London's best and my most favourite restaurants are really really struggling now. Many have chosen not to offer takeaway services to protect their staff – a necessary but crushing choice to make. 

For now the only option I've got on my already bad Deliveroo is Pizza Go-Go, and – no disrespect – but I think I'll be holding off for now. Saving my pennies for the dishes I really miss.

I'm dreaming of a no. 4 pizza at Franco Manca – those oozing pools of ricotta, offset by salty, crispy roasted ham and delicate chunks of mushroom. I ask for a little extra tomato on the base, and always always order a pot of indulgent Colston Bassett stilton dip to dunk those heavenly, doughy crusts into. I'm craving Nando's chilli-spiked macho peas – best consumed alongside salty halloumi and butterfly chicken (lemon and herb if you must know). 

I miss the lunch break luxury of a Pret popcorn bar. A crunchy concoction of rice krispies and popcorn, glued together using condensed milk and creamy white chocolate. I'd die for a lunch bowl from Ahi Poké – I build my own on a black rice base, always topping with ahi tuna in sriracha mayo, and garnishing with edamame, crispy onions, carrots, charred sweetcorn and seaweed roasted cashew nuts.

I'd devour a bowl of Camino's arroz negro – with the creamiest aioli on top and just the right amount of cuttlefish chunks hidden in the rice. See also Dishoom's fragrant black daal. Rich; creamy (it's cooked for 24 hours)... and those lentils actually melt in your mouth. Continuing along indulgent lines, I could cry at the thought of Flat Iron creamed spinach. I've never tasted better.

And what about London's cheese?! I can never forget the brie with truffled mascarpone at The Cheese Bar. Cheese sandwiched between cheese sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen. And it probably is. But it tasted incredible – perfectly accompanied by those pickled grapes and crackers. I've sampled plenty of London's burrata dishes, but I've never found a better one than at Sodo in Walthamstow. One swift knife cut sends ricotta oozing all over the plate – but mopping it up with the soft, garlicky sourdough is a joy. 

It's not just food I miss. A creamy but punchy Grind espresso martini would be heaven. I've tried many times over the last six weeks to make my own. But as has been proven (and my boyfriend will testify), I really do have all the gear (cocktail set, coffee liqueur, vodka, Grind's own bloody ground coffee) but unfortunately no idea. Hell, I even miss my Friday morning coffee at Planet Organic – a frothy latte with deliciously sweet hazelnut mylk.

Then there's desserts. Babka at The Good Egg – preferably chocolate or salted caramel, but I'll take whatever's in. Although an incredibly rare treat, a few scoops in a waffle cone from Udderlicious in Islington would be the perfect antidote to a long day working in my living room. But nothing tops my beloved Konditor & Cook – namely their salted caramel brownie. It's moist and melty, with an incredible drizzle of luscious caramel on top. Try as you might, you'll never be able to find – or make – a better one. 

London: I'll be back soon. And when I am, you bet I'll be spending most of my time eating my way around my favourite restaurants again. Chances are they'll probably be needing me as much as I need them.

Hold on and stay strong. 


  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 Comments

I really do appreciate any comments, and will always read and try to reply to each one. If you have a question, however, you may receive a quicker response by tweeting @misscharlea